Sunday 26 May 2019

Identity Reclaimed: An Original Poem


Hi all, the following poem was written just now, as a celebration of finally feeling more comfortable in my own skin.


As of March 2018, having been transitioning from female to male through the use of hormone therapy, I realized that my personal gender dysphoria stemmed from certain childhood moments that have left their own scars.



Since early 2018, I began to detransition, a process that although considered rare by many, is actually more common than you would think. As a controversial subject, people like me are hidden from the general public and rarely discussed in the mainstream media.


This poem represents the end of one confusing journey and the beginning of a journey back to my true self.







The following poem is a brief look at how I now feel about my true, female-born identity.



I look in the mirror,
What do I see?
A young woman- sad,
As frail as can be.
I look in the mirror,
At what I’ve become.
Obsessed with identity-
Comfortably numb.
I look in the mirror,
And it’s there that I find-
I was always a woman,
Merely in a bind.
I look in the mirror,
See softness regained.
Past trauma explored,
And realized pain.
I look in the mirror,
And I gasp in relief-
That I did not commit-
To my transition belief.
I look in the mirror,
And I start to smile.
The worst is far from over,
No longer in denial.

I look in the mirror,
And see no strife.
Who is this carefree lady-
I’ve waited to meet all my life?



Thank you for reading this short poem. I know the subject of gender identity is a touchy one right now and do apologize if anyone took offence. However, my intention is only to share my own personal truth and to show that sometimes, gender dysphoria stems from other issues, such as past trauma, or as a feature of other mental conditions.



















Gender dysphoria, in itself, is a mental state, where the sufferer feels extreme distress in regards to their birth sex. This may be due to social factors or past abuse. I truly believe that the first port of call, before considering hormones and surgery, should be to establish why the individual has developed gender dysphoria. That way, any other pre-existing issues can be ruled out.
I hope my words have at least given you pause with regards to this particular subject. It is important for us to think back when we consider such major life-changing decisions as we can't see how they will affect us in the future until that future is lived. Thank you for reading my post. I hope you have a wonderful week. Dax. xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this post, please consider commenting below