Thursday 20 June 2019

Free Women, Free Men: Sex, Gender, Feminism

Author: Camille Paglia



Hi guys, how are you this rare, sunny English morning?

Today, I'm going to be discussing a more controversial book. I know, there's plenty of those to go around nowadays, right? However, this book genuinely spoke to me.



How I feel about modern Feminism


While not being a follower of modern Feminism, I can appreciate the history of first wave Feminism, where women fought for the right to vote and the right to greater work opportunity.


When I compare those noble causes to the modern Feminist movement, I actually feel a bit lost. Where does all of the man-hating stem from? How is anything being discussed today remotely relate to actually equality of the sexes?


We already established equality of opportunity, so why are so many lies being pushed onto our young women about men, and about our biological nature? It makes no sense to me. Where is the personal responsibility for our own everyday problems? Furthermore, where is the strength that first wave Feminists showed in order to prove their worth?


When I recently watched an interview with self-described 'Amazonian Feminist' Camille Paglia, I lit up. Paglia spoke with great insight into the issues faced in life by both men and women, of how human beings are always suffering because life in itself is never easy. Having watched her interview, I felt compelled to read her latest book, Free Women, Free Men.




Paglia's Writing Style


Having never read any of Paglia's work before, I wasn't sure what to expect. However, I was genuinely surprised by her coverage of historical events relating to Feminism, showing us young girls the good, the bad, and the ugly of the movement.

Paglia experienced the early stages of second wave Feminism and, by the sounds of it, it wasn't all that different from what we're seeing in the world at present. In fact, it's pretty much a repeat of what happened then: lots of male bashing, while raising women up as if they can do no wrong.




Come on. In life, we all make mistakes. I myself have made plenty of them when younger, but it's crucial that we look inside ourselves and learn from them, and that we don't pin our own failings on a scapegoat for convenience.


Camille's style of writing showcases both her intelligence and her kickass sense of humour. She speaks her own truth, while simultaneously rejecting the chaotic politics of our current age. She speaks candidly of nature and of the female body, of humanity's unconscious fears from a psychological perspective. I often found myself nodding along with her, grateful for a sane voice in this ever-changing reality.


The idea- the very foundation of first wave Feminism- was for women to have the opportunity to go after what they wanted: to work hard just like men, not to rely on special protections when they felt offended or unable to handle the real world.

My mum shall forever be my role model in this regard: she has always worked hard at her job, a woman with a blend of feminine and masculine qualities that allow her to prosper in life. To me, she is a paragon of strength.




Memorable Quotes Young Girls Should Pay Attention To



'If women seek freedom, they must let men too be free.'

This quote resonated with me because for true equality, you cannot simply bash others for how they are born (including men.)





'Radical misinterpretation of reality is psychotic- psychosis is a system. people within that system feel it's very rational.'


This spoke to me because more often than not, we are seeing our reality twisted by the perspective of a select few people, who then make enough noise for the media to take notice. Ironically, these individuals do not speak for the majority of people, and the warped world view that is spread by the media honestly makes me feel sick to my stomach.




'We must stop seeing everything in life through the narrow lense of gender. If women expect equal treatment in society, they must stop asking for infantilizing special protections. With freedom comes personal responsibility.'

Exactly. The more we focus on something, the more power we give it in our everyday lives. If you're constantly focusing on gender, you will find problems with it everywhere. It's the same no matter what you're focusing on. Try focusing on being a better person, not through pushing your personal beliefs about the world, but on actually doing good toward your fellow men and women.



These three quotes stood out to me because they speak the truth. Feminism, while once a worthwhile cause that helped women to thrive, now seems doomed to fixate on gender until it goes blue in the face, not taking into account men and women's biological or psychological differences.



Equality cannot exist while any one gender persecutes the other: that includes women bashing men. That's sexism, only toward men instead of toward women. I'm amazed that the young women following this modern movement cannot see that. To me, modern Feminism seems hell-bent on enacting some cruel revenge on men, while preaching morality to others. It makes no sense.




Overall Thoughts


I loved Camille's latest book as it shows the full reality of Feminism's journey from its first wave to modern times. The ridiculous propaganda spread through universities today needs to stops so that the sexes can come together to make a better future. Dividing people by gender, race, or however you divide them, will not solve anything. It will only make the currently unstable political climate worse.


Hopefully, people will eventually come to their senses. Be strong ladies: don't put others down in order to raise yourselves above them. Work hard and if you meet any obstacles along the way, take a deep breath and fight your way through.

You've got this: you always did.  xoxo



1 comment:

  1. I love that quote at the end, I want true equality, I do not wish to bash the opposite sex to rise our own sex.

    ReplyDelete

If you liked this post, please consider commenting below